Easington Colliery vs Brandon United

Match Report

After midweek changes for the Durham Challenge cup, it was pretty much back to the side that had started last week in the Vase game against Washington.

IT was a tentative start from both teams but shortly after it was Easington who began to dominate. They had the first chance but a shot from the edge of the box was deflected over. The resulting corner was headed clear, but not far and landed at the feet of David Vincent.  He was given too much space, turned and fired a quick first time shot. This evaded everyone including Robinson in the nets and the low shot hit the post and went in. Easington continued with the pressure and created a couple of chances but nothing that really troubled the defence.

Brandon won a free kick just inside the Easington half which allowed for us to pack the penalty area. Jack Carr swung a high looping ball to the far post where an unmarked Ben Joyeux couldn’t believe his luck and he calmly headed past Finch in goal.

We pressed again and a great through ball from Joe Joyce set brother Sam on his way down the right. He ran on and into the box. Quine and Carr had matched the run and were waiting in the area, unfortunately, Sam couldn’t deliver the right pass and a great chance had gone.

A further chance minutes later this time for Quine was also squandered when he fired into the side netting from close range when one on one with the keeper.

Easington finished the stronger and had two great chances to go into the break in front. The first one followed a flowing, passing move that saw Brandon old boy Jack Pounder in on goal on the penalty spot with just Robinson to beat. Then ‘out of nowhere’ Ben Joyeux came in with a block tackle.... A similar move moments later was this time intercepted by Robinson. The teams went into the break level.

Brandon came out for the second half with a bit of confidence about them and had a host of shots, one really close from Jack Carr, within ten minutes.

But it was Easington who went closest. A corner was half cleared again and went out wide. This was played back in beating the offside, keeper and striker both raced to the ball and though the striker got there first, Robinson saved well with his feet.

It was an open game and both sides had half chances. Quine had a marvellous chance when again one on one - but again he hit the side netting when perhaps a pass across the box was the better option.

As with the Vase game last week both teams had a chance to win it very late on. Firstly Easington. A miss-kick in midfield from the last defender allowed Adamson to pinch the ball and run at goal. Again Robinson came out to meet him and he bravely dove at the feet of Adamson, dislodging the ball. The rebound went straight to Cooke and he had an open goal to aim at. Firing side footed first time, thankfully he hit his shot high and wide.

Then it was ‘our turn’. Nicholson played the ball down the wing to Blades. He raced forward, cut inside the defender and fired a shot at goal. The keeper saved well at the front post, but his parry went over his head and bounced in front of Joe Joyce. He instinctively headed the ball from about two yards out - but amazingly headed over with the open goal beckoning.

We still await our first League win of the season, but there was definitely something to work with on show. There seems to be a bit more confidence about the team and this in turn breeds more confidence.

Easington Colliery 1
Brandon United 1