Brandon United vs Willington

Match Report

Following a good away draw at Easington, there was little change from that game with only Niall Fingleton and Willis White replacing the absent Lee Blades and Alex Dobinson respectively. New signing Gareth McMahon was on the bench.

Willington came to us having won 3, drawn 3 and lost 3 and having a large ex-Brandon contingent in their ranks; Ruddy, Rush, Wren, Marshall and Thexton all returning.

It was Willington who started the brightest and it was they who had the first few chances; the first of which was well saved by Robinson low to his right. With the second though, we had a real let off when Moffat beat the offside trap, cut inside onto his left foot - but hit the post with his shot. The rebound was blazed over.

They finally made their pressure tell though shortly after. They broke from their own half and went practically unchallenged all the way to the edge of our box. When some resistance was finally met, there was an easy lay off to the unmarked Dean Thexton whose first time shot went low past Robinson in the nets.

It sparked us into life a little though and we started to have more of the ball. Just before the half hour Willis White fed the ball along the line to Joyce, he found Jack Carr on the right wing. After a touch and another burst of pace Carr crossed the ball into the box where Sam Joyce rose and just beat Lewis Graham in the Willington nets to head in the equaliser.

This time it was Willington who responded and a great save from Robinson kept us in it. Then ‘out of the blue’ we were awarded a penalty. The ball was bobbling in the box and Sam Joyce was trying to hoof the ball goal wards. A Willington defender was on the floor and he apparently twice blocked the shots with his arm. Despite the protestations of Willington, the ref awarded the penalty which Joe Joyce expertly despatched. We went into the break 2-1 to the good.

That didn’t last too long after the break though. Just ninety seconds into the second half there was a run down our right flank, a cross into the box and a free header to make it 2-2. Five minutes later a very similar move resulted in us going behind only this time the cross into the box was kicked/deflected over the head of the keeper. Whichever it was, it meant we were 3-2 down from being 2-1 up just five minutes earlier.

They almost went further ahead just after the hour mark. They had a corner which we dealt with comfortably, however, as we tried to break quickly, we gave the ball away. Willington countered themselves just as quickly and the ball was played through to Moffat in the box, just as he shot though, he was blocked on six yards out. It was a huge chance for them.

Brandon had a free kick for offside on 69 minutes inside our box. Robinson played the ball out quickly down the left. Hindmarch collected the ball, ran into the Willington half and then delivered a high, looping ball over the box. It sailed over the keepers head but Jack Carr had continued his run and he met he ball brilliantly to smash the ball into the net to level the game again.

Willington as expected responded and dominated possession for the rest of the game. Apart from one shot - brilliantly saved by Robinson as it looked to be heading to the top corner - they didn’t really trouble us. We were trying to hit them on the beak, but gave the ball away far too easily.

At the end it was a really good point for Brandon. OK, it wasn’t the win we still need, but it was again a confidence building draw against a good, strong Willington team. As a side issue to this game, this was the first ever draw between the two clubs.

Brandon United 3
Willington 3